Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Convergence

Well, unfortunately, the recent solar system convergence of Venus, Jupiter and the moon was a bust for Chicagoland star gazers. On the evening of December 1st, 2008 it was overcast and thus a missed opportunity. The next such alignment I believe is in 2052. Even still, one can look up into the southern sky at dusk and see Venus and Jupiter sitting very close together for the next week or so. Still, a rather impressive sight.

It reminds me of June 16th, 1991 when at 10:51pm PST in San Juan Capistrano, CA I viewed a impressive convergence of Mars, Venus and Jupiter making a rare triangle in the night sky. Then, less than a month later on July 11th, 1991 we were treated to a 70% solar eclipse viewed also in San Juan Capistrano, CA at 11:41am PST. These can be considered my first documented observations and preceded my formal education in Astronomy which included several classes at the college level including Intro to Astronomy, Advanced Astronomy and an additional Astronomy Lab at Saddleback College in Mission Viejo, CA. I guess you could say I have been hooked ever since.

No comments: