Monday, January 5, 2009

M82

On January 5th, 2009, I observed M82. It was a clear night with calm wind and the temp was 20 degrees. M82 is also called the Cigar Galaxy - found in Ursa Major. M82 is considered a spiral galaxy and is seen edge on - tens of millions of years ago, M81 (a much larger spiral galaxy) passed by M82 and disrupted the appearance, so much so that some consider it an irregular galaxy. At magnitude 9.50 the galaxy was easily spotted despite a 68% full waxing gibbous. HIP48486 was a bright reference star near this deep space object.

It's famous neighbor, M81 (Bode's Galaxy) sits nearby. Unfortunately, I had a spring failure in my dobsonian mount and had to call it a night before I could index both objects. I will attempt another gaze at both objects very soon.

No comments: